Homecoming Football game

This past Saturday marked the annual Concordia homecoming football game at SeaFoam stadium. The Golden bears, faced off against one of the toughest Division 2 football programs in the country Mankato State. There was a lot of people in attendance at the game which included the family members of the players, various locals, students, and the alumni. A fair, was also hosted right next to the stadium in tandem with the football game. The fair contained various rides, food trucks, an interesting petting zoo and to top it off fireworks. There were also a number of families nested in the parking lot tailgating.

As Christians and human beings, we have certain rituals that we follow that act as  bridges to bring our communities together. The homecoming football game  is a ritual that is used to honor and connect the recent students to the various alumni who have earned their degrees at Concordia. The fair also allowed for Concordia to engage with the families of the surrounding community, expressing our campuses openness and increased effort to enrich the community.

Our homecoming event has challenged me to find simple ways to communicate and express certain aspects of my faith throughout our Concordia community. I could host  youth football camps, joining various volunteer groups, or just attended events being held around the community to. This is crucial because when I come back as an alumnus, I want to see the community that I resided embody and express those beliefs.