Homecoming 2017

Homecoming in college is rather different than homecoming in high school. There is no dance, no homecoming king and queen, no competitions between each class, nor a parade. On the day of the homecoming football game, the pep band woke up early (4am) to make breakfast for the students and also to wake up the freshmen. Before the football game a few members of the pep band performed a mini marching band show, then the pep band sat in the student section of the bleachers and played throughout the game. At the football game students, parents and families, faculty, and alumni were there to celebrate the school because they all identify and associate themselves with Concordia St. Paul.

Homecoming is a time to celebrate our school. We participate in rituals and traditions that bring the CSP community together because we all identify and associate ourselves with Concordia St. Paul. Some of the homecoming rituals and traditions that took place include the pep band making breakfast and waking up the freshmen, and for the second year in a row the marching band performing a pre-game show. The purpose of the breakfast prepared by the pep band is to bring everyone together and get their day started off with a hardy breakfast and to get them excited for the game. Which is the purpose of the whole week leading up to the homecoming game, rituals and traditions to bring the CSP community together.

As a member of the pep/marching band participating in the rituals and traditions is a ritual within itself. Because it brought the pep band members closer together. The pep band is a community within a community. We are leaders at football games to get the student section excited about the game. Experiencing the community coming together first handed was surreal. For when it was happening I was unaware of it, but thinking back it was obvious what was happening. I felt safe at the game, I didn’t experience as much social anxiety as I usually do, because there was a strong sense of community. I felt a sense of belonging, which I normally do not feel, so to feel a sense of belonging puts me at peace.