Poehler Lecture

The Poehler Lecture Series is an annual event crafted to discuses how faculty members find their Christian faith active in the College of Business & Technology, the College of Education, and the College of Humanities & Social Science. The speaker of the 2018 lecture was Tom Hanson, MBA, J.D., Professor of Management and Law. Professor Hanson delivered a message regarding the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights and how Christians should use the Freedom of Speech to build community and unity.

In the lecture Professor Hanson discussed how the First Amendment right to the Freedom of Speech is to be used to build community. I was reminded me a quote used in Callings, “The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and world’s deep hunger meet” (Frederick Buechner, Quoted in Callings, 3). Because God is calling Christians to make disciples of all nations, we can make disciples of all nations by use our words to bring people together.

My whole life I have felt to called to serve the country in someway, probably because most of my family serves or had served in the military, and they have inspired me to want to serve as well. I feel called to serve the country because it would be my way of saying, “Thank You” to my family who has served. But serving in the military is not God’s plan for me. That was hard for me to accept because all I want to do is serve. I know God is calling me to serve; I have yet to figure where and how He needs me to serve. However, I know I am called to use my words to speak the truth of God, to share the love of God with all to whom I speak. I am called to use my words to point the world back to Him.