Callings, Post-Christian World (2 of 2)

Dorothy Sayers lived from 1893 to 1957. She was a one of the first women to graduate from Oxford University; she worked as a journalist. In her writing, Vocation in Work, she explains that one’s work should be meaningful and creative and engaging of the mind. Humans were created in the image of God, and God is a creator. God created humans because he wanted to and for his own pleasure, not because He had to. Thus, humans are creators too, and ideally, work should be creative and for our pleasure, not solely for economical gains. This also applies to how leisure time should be spent; it should not be spent doing unproductive mind numbing actives, but should engage and work the mind and be creative and meaningful.

Dorothy Sayers’ philosophy on vocation and work would be beneficial in today’s society. Because our society is so caught up in making money, we often forget that leisure time can and should be spent doing something that actively engages the mind. Leisure time could be spent volunteering in the community instead of falling asleep in front of the TV. Causing individuals to serve their neighbors, in turn serving God.

I agree with Sayers’ philosophy on how leisure time should be spent. When I spending a whole day watching Netflix and getting nothing accomplished, I do not feel well and I do not like spending my free time that way. I prefer to spend my free time outside being active or playing one of my many instruments. I like to stay active, both physically and mentally, because it helps me perform better at my summer job and keeps me healthy. My summer job is a lifeguard and pool manager at a private pool in Virginia Beach, VA. My job is physically and mentally demanding and requires me to interact with people, all day, every day. The interactions with people give me many opportunities to share the love of God with the patrons. So how I spend my free time affects my vocation, because if I do not take care of myself then I can not do my summer job.