Latino Art Migration art exhibit opened on January 30.  The exhibit is about, “personal and universal meditation on the displacement, nostalgia, and anxiety of migrant and immigrants.”  All the visitors were given “visas” which had to stamped before they could enter the exhibit.  There were also “police” silently strolling through the exhibit keeping an eye on the visitors.  This was to give just a tiny idea of what it is like to immigrate into the United States.  All the artists are Minnesota-based and immigrated or migrated from Latin America.  The art was inspired by different aspects of the immigration or migration process.  There were many types of art in the exhibit including paintings, projection presentations, and pottery.  A few of the pieces were collages representing the artists’ mixed cultures of Minnesota and Latin America.  All the artwork in the exhibit was well done, and the exhibit was very thought provoking.

The title of this semester of Honors is “Hearing Their Voices: Globalism, Justice and the Lives of the Marginalized.”  Although we are focusing more on other subjects, immigrants are also part of the marginalized in the United States.  This exhibit allowed the voices of fifteen Latin American immigrants to be heard.  Their work expressed their struggles of coming to America, the inner struggle of being separated from their culture or torn between two cultures, and the difficulties faced by those left behind.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of art exhibits.  I would much rather go to history museums, plays, or dance performances.  Especially with many types of modern art, it is hard to me to understand what the artist is trying to convey.  However, the Latino Art Migration art exhibit was very thought provoking and, I think, portrayed very well many of the struggles of immigrating or migrating to the United States.  The works that initially stuck out to me when I first entered the exhibit were a series of paintings by Luis Fitch.  The works were mainly inspired by Fitch’s frustration with the Mexican government.  Upon closer inspection, I realized the painting were created with the artist’s own blood.  Honestly, this made my stomach a little queasy, but it also displayed to me the commitment the artists have to their art and the real struggles and frustration they have that they want the visitors to see.  Overall, I would not say I enjoyed the art exhibit, because of the heavy subject matter.  However, it was very thought provoking and sparked conversations, which I believe was the purpose of the exhibit, and I am grateful I had the chance to see it.

Latino Art Migration