From April 19th-22nd, 2018 Concordia’s Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance performed the sixth annual Spring into Dance show.  Spring into Dance is one the best advertised, and highly anticipated, shows done by Concordia each year.  The styles this year include ballet, hip-hop, and everything in between.  The pieces were choreographed by students of all ages, along with several alumni choreographers and two pieces by Professor Puffer.  Many of the choreographers were new this year and brought a different energy and creativity to Spring into Dance.

For the service learning aspect of Honors this semester, I volunteered at a dance school called Spirited Feet and at a class called Storytelling in an after-school program at a local elementary school.  I chose to work with these two programs because they both incorporate dance, something I am passionate about.  Dance has been such a huge part of my life, and I want to share the joy it has brought me with others.  By working with these programs I was able to get a better understanding of ways to incorporate dance into activities for children, as well as some ideas should I want to run a dance program of my own someday.  I believe God has given me a gift and a passion for dance and it is one of my vocations.  Spring into Dance is a truly unique way many students can live out different vocations of being creators and artists.

Since first looking at Concordia, Spring into Dance was one of the things admissions counselors, students, and staff encouraged me to attend and participate in.  I love dancing and performing, so Spring into Dance quickly became one of my favorite parts of Concordia.  I think the opportunity for students to both perform and choreograph is very cool.  This year, besides dancing, I also choreographed a dance, which was a new experience for me.  I have choreographed for myself, but never a full-length piece to be performed by others.  I had so much fun creating a very lively, silly piece and being able to choreograph specifically for my dancers using their strengths and personalities to make the dance the best it can be.  This was a new part of dance I am excited to continue exploring during my time at Concordia.

Spring into Dance 2018