Band Tour Homecoming Concert- 2017

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017, the Concordia concert band played their final concert of a Midwest tour. From March 10-15 the band traveled through Minnesota, South Dakota, and Wyoming to play concerts at churches in different locations. The band played eight songs at each concert with an intermission between the fourth and fifth song. This break gave the musicians’ mouths a break during the long concert. Some of the songs from the concert included Communion, Buffalo Dances, and American Flourish. Communion was based on the song Be Thou My Vision and started off with a clarinet duet which transitioned into an Irish feeling 6/8 meter. The final piece, American Flourish was a medley of patriotic songs, including Yankee Doodle, When Johnny Comes Marching Home, and Shenandoah. The full, grand ending of the piece brought the concert to a thrilling close.

Last semester in the Honors program, we learned about the different “Ways of Knowing.” Personally, music is one of the ways that I learn more about myself and the world. Playing pieces of music from different cultures and countries and learning about what emotions to put into the pieces allows me to learn about other people. Music also allows me to experience/express emotions that I don’t normally encounter in my day-to-day activities. Overall, playing clarinet for Concordia’s concert band and being able to travel with it has let me experience new emotions and cultures that I never would have if I wasn’t in it.

This concert was a bittersweet performance for me. It signaled the end of the 2017 band tour, which was more fun than I thought it was going to be. However, it was a long and tiring trip with some sickness along the way. I am happy to have been a part of it, and happy that it is over! I was also very thankful for all of the people that attended the concert. My dad was able to attend the concert and was able to hear me play for the first time since I have come to college. I am also very thankful for the people in the Honors program that came out to support the band. The class has become very close, and we have a neat opportunity to support each other’s endeavors.