Shades of Harmony

On Thursday, April 27, the gospel choir from CSP held the annual Shades of Harmony concert. The CSP Gospel Choir and the Saint Paul Community Gospel Choir performed pieces separately and two collaborative pieces. The two pieces that the choirs sang together were at the end of the concert. The first song, “Better,” is about not being discouraged about the current circumstances, but instead to be hopeful about the future, because it will get better. The second song, “I am a Friend of God,” was an upbeat song that got the audience involved.

Being a part of the Gospel Choir showed me how music can create a community. First semester we discussed how music can unify people and being a part of that concert gave me a first hand experience of that. I felt a part of a community especially during “I am a Friend of God.” Not only were the choirs singing, but the audience joined in too.

I really enjoyed being a part of the gospel choir this semester. I was a little apprehensive of it at first because it was a totally new experience for me. However, I was able to make many new friends because of the choir. I look forward to next year and seeing how the choir changes and improves.