Poetry Convocation

Poetry Month Convocation

Wednesday, April 19, was the convocation for poetry month. This convocation was not the typical convocations like the one in the past were there was just one speaker. This one had multiple people speaking, both staff and students. Each person would take turns going up and share a piece of poetry that they enjoy, and some even shared their own that they wrote. Authors– Billy Collins, Alice Walker, Heather Wasti, Donald Justice, James Agee, and Margaret Stevenson–were all read with each having a different tone. Some of the poems were funny, depressing, or uplifting, and others just made one feel relaxed. The readers were of various ages, races, ethnicities, and both gender represented. All of this created a enjoyable event to close the year.

Poetry incorporates well into last semester and this semester. For the “five ways of knowing,” in Honors 110, poetry would fall into the imagination category. Poetry is a creative process used to describe various subjects, such as history or mood.  Because of its ability to convey different subjects, it then ties into emotion. Poetry displays emotion through the tone, syntax, diction, metaphors, and other literary device used in poems. When reading a poem one can get the sense of what the author is  feeling since there may be a possibility of more than one emotion. For Honors 120, poetry is an expression of what one may feel. In classes we read poetry about different people who were marginalized. Poetry along with song is one of the various ways people share their stories of marginalization in hopes that someone is going to listen. Honors 120 is all about listening to the marginalized and poetry is just another way of listening.

I really enjoyed this convocation because it was not like all the others this year.  I really like the different readers because each person had a different poem with a different message to it. I usually do not like poetry, but this convocation really showed me different types of poetry that I am interested in. I am really glad I got this experience, and I am thankful for the more respect I have for poetry because of this.