“Life’s Too Short To Pretend You’re Not Religious”

“Life’s Too Short To Pretend You’re Not Religious” actually was a very thorough book that made numerous thought-provoking statements and arguments. It actually applied very well to myself as a very firm believer in Christ. For instance, Dark started out with some very compelling arguments, but the one that stuck out in my mind was where he talked about all of us (people in general) wanting to know who we are. That right there should indicate that this book actually applies to the believers and the nonbelievers. No matter what religion and or no religion that we believe in, we are all trying to find that thing that gives us purpose in life.

Dark wanted people to have a sense of open-mindedness toward religion that may have been skewed in one way shape or form. The goal is to get those who read his work to actually sit down and discuss it. He wants us to actually embrace the conversation and to not be afraid of the feared term religion. To use these conversations to not only learn more about ourselves, but more about those around you. Even further using it to better the world around us. Which brings me to the point that Dark made near the middle of the book, “It is only by really loving and forgiving others as members of ourselves that we can begin to really love, forgive or cherish ourselves at all.(137) Love is what really matters and Dark makes that very clear throughout the book. Even with some of his sweeping generalizations, love is prevalent. That is what I got out of the book “Life’s Too Short To Pretend You’re Not Religious” and that is the way I want to live my life.